Researcher & Developer
Tua studies development expertise and turning ideas into improvements in different contexts of development efforts: product design, entrepreneurship, management, and teaching. She has a DSc degree in work psychology from the Aalto University School of Science, and an MA degree in cognitive science from the University of Helsinki. Tua has been part of the founding team of the Design Factory, and will gladly answer any questions you have about research at ADF.
Now that she’s returned from the Center for Design Research and Scandinavian Consortium for Organizational Research in Stanford University, Tua manages Design Plus, investigating how design thinking can change the way companies organise for innovation. In addition, she heads several research efforts looking into the impact of the Factory, promoting empathy in engineering education, and how entrepreneurial opportunities are produced.
In addition to research, Tua is a part of Design Factory efforts to promote developing university teaching. She teaches an integrated course to promote reflection, setting learning goals and skill communication in the interdisciplinary bachelor-level Aaltonaut product development minor.
Recent journal publications:
- Björklund, T.A. & Krueger, N. (2016). Generating resources through the co-evolvement of entrepreneurs and ecosystems. Journal of Enterprising Communities, 10(4), 477-498.
- Rekonen, S.M. & Björklund, T.A. (2016). Perceived managerial functions in the front-end phase of innovation. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business, 9(2), 414-432.
- Rekonen, S.M. & Björklund, T.A. (2016). Adapting to the changing needs of managing innovative projects. European Journal of Innovation Management, 19(1), 111-132.
- Clavert, M., Björklund, T.A. & Nevgi, A. (2014). Developing as a teacher in the fields of science and technology. Teaching in Higher Education, 19(6), 685-696.
- Björklund, T.A. (2013). Initial mental representations of design problems: differences between experts and novices. Design Studies, 34(2), 135-160.
- Björklund, T.A., Bhatli, D., & Laakso, M. (2013). Understanding idea advancement efforts in innovation through proactive behavior, Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 15(2), 124-142.
- Björklund, T.A., Nordström, K.M. & Clavert, M. (2013). A Sino-Finnish initiative for experimental teaching practices using the Design Factory pedagogical platform, European Journal of Engineering Education, 38(5), 567-577.