Read on for insights from the d.confestival and d.safari in September 2017 on how design thinking can be brought to large companies.Continue reading
Design Factory brings together researchers from different disciplines together to explore design, development, and innovation from a wide variety of disciplinary perspectives and with diverse methodological approaches. Inside ADF you can find both in-house researchers supporting the development of the ADF platform, and other design and development interested researchers from Aalto University. The research community is an ever-changing and developing group of enthusiasts from different fields who have a passion for development, working in close collaboration with students, teachers, industry and the public sector.
The in-house researchers at Aalto University Design Factory represent a variety of fields: Tua is from cognitive and work psychology, Maria from educational sciences, Miko from mechanical engineering, Senni from industrial design… We combine these perspectives in attempt to better understand development efforts and how to support them. Our research efforts build a basis for long term development. All of us work also in developing the ADF platform and its practices further in order to both effectively translate research results into practice and ensure the relevance of theoretical endeavours.
In addition to our work within the Design Factory and the Design Factory Global Network, we are also currently running the following projects:
In Finland, much of the nation halts to a stand-still in July. This can offer a perfect time to refresh and get some new inspiration for your work. Read on for a few questions you may want to ask yourself, and some easy reads to provoke more thinking on the topics.Continue reading
Everyone and everything starts from something. Read on for insights on how to create traction with little resources from one of the journal publications on and of the community published this Fall.Continue reading
- Björklund, T.A. & Krueger, N. (2016). Generating resources through the co-evolvement of entrepreneurs and ecosystems. Journal of Enterprising Communities, 10(4), 477-498.
- Min G.K., Suh, E.S., Hölttä-Otto, K. (2016). System Architecture, Level of Decomposition, and Structural Complexity: Analysis and Observations, Journal of Mechanical Design, 138(2), 021102.
- Min G.K., Suh, E.S., Hölttä-Otto, K. (2016). Impact of technology infusion on system architecture complexity, Journal of Engineering Design.
- Otto, K., Hölttä-Otto, K., Simpson, T.W., Krause, D., Ripperda, S., Moon, S.K., (2016). Global Views on Modular Design Research: Linking Alternative Methods to Support Modular Product Family Concept Development, Journal of Mechanical Design 138 (7), 071101
- Rekonen, S.M. & Björklund, T.A. (2016). Perceived managerial functions in the front-end phase of innovation. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business, 9(2), 414-432.
- Rekonen, S.M. & Björklund, T.A. (2016). Adapting to the changing needs of managing innovative projects. European Journal of Innovation Management, 19(1), 111-132.
- Clavert, M., Löfström, E. & Nevgi, A. (2015). Pedagogically aware academics’ conceptions of change agency in the fields of science and technology. International Journal for Academic Development, 20(3), 252-265.
- Clavert, M. & Paloposki, T. 2015. Implementing Design-Based Learning in Teaching of Combustion and Gasification Technology. International Journal of Engineering Education, 31(4), 1021–1032.
- Clavert, M., Björklund, T.A. & Nevgi, A. (2014). Developing as a teacher in the fields of science and technology. Teaching in Higher Education 19(6), 685-696.
- Laakso, M. & Clavert, M. (2014). Promover la creatividad y las habilidades del pensamiento de diseño entre los estudiantes universitarios (Promoting creativity and design thinking skills among University students). Revista de Estudios de Juventud 104, pp. 215-228.
- Nikander, J., Liikkanen, L. & Laakso, M. (2014). The preference effect in design concept evaluation. Design Studies 35 (5), 473-499.
- Björklund, T.A. (2013). Initial mental representations of design problems: differences between experts and novices. Design Studies 34(2), 135-160.
- Björklund, T.A., Bhatli, D., & Laakso, M. (2013). Understanding idea advancement efforts in innovation through proactive behavior, Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 15(2), 124-142.
- Björklund, T.A., Nordström, K.M. & Clavert, M. (2013). A Sino-Finnish initiative for experimental teaching practices using the Design Factory pedagogical platform, European Journal of Engineering Education, 38(5), 567-577.
- Clavert, M. & Nevgi, A. 2011. Yliopistopedagogisen koulutuksen merkitys yliopisto-opettajana kehittymisen kokemuksessa. Peda-Forum 11(2), 6-16.
- Hassi, L. & Laakso, M. (2011). Making sense of design thinking. In: Karjalainen, T-M., Koria, M. & Salimäki, M. (eds.): IDBM papers vol 1 (pp. 50-63). Helsinki: IDBM Program, Aalto University. ISBN 978-952-92-8641-6.
- Björklund, T.A. (2010). Enhancing creative knowledge-work: Challenges and points of leverage. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business, 3(3), 517-525.
- Kirjavainen, S., Björklund, T. A., Eloranta, M.-M. & Laakso, M. (2010). The impact of leadership, management and power in an international knowledge-intensive organization. Cadernos EBAPE.BR, 8(2), 339-352. ISSN 1679-3951.
- Björklund, T. A. (2009). Challenges in knowledge-intensive creative teamwork. In K. Kähkönen, A. S. Kazi & M. Rekola (toim.): Human Side of Projects in Modern Business (ss.141-150). Helsinki, Finland: Project Management Association Finland (PMAF) in collaboration with VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland. ISBN 978-952-92-5638-9
- Pink, S., Rieken, B., Björklund, T.A. & Sheppard, S. (2017). What makes an inquisitive engineer – An exploration of question-asking self-efficacy and outcome expectations among engineering students. American Society for Engineering Education, Annual conference, Columbus, Ohio.
- Levine, A., Björklund, T.A., Gilmartin, S. & Sheppard, S. (2017). A preliminary exploration of the role of surveys in student reflection and behavior. American Society for Engineering Education, Annual conference, Columbus, Ohio.
- Miranda Mendoza, C., Leal Martinez, D. & Forget, M. (2017). Geographically distributed teams in engineering design: Best practices and issues in cases of international teams working from different continents. American Society for Engineering Education, Annual conference, Columbus, Ohio.
- Hölttä-Otto, K. & Raviselvam, S. (2016). Guidelines for finding lead user like behavior for latent need discovery, NordDesign 2016, August 10-12, Trondheim, Norway.
- Kirjavainen, S., Björklund, T.A. & Laakso, M. (2016). Framing activities and the co-evolvement of products and operations in new ventures, NordDesign 2016, August 10-12, Trondheim, Norway.
- Raviselvam, S., Tam, V., Hölttä-Otto, K. Wood, K. & Nagarajan, K. (2016). A Lead User Approach to Universal Design – Involving elderly in the design process, International Conference on Universal Design (UD2016), August 21-24, York, UK.
- Raviselvam, S., & Hölttä-Otto, K. (2016). User extreme conditions to enhance designer creativity and empathy: Application using visual impairment, ASME IDETC International Conference on Design Education, Charlotte, NC, August 21-24. Paper number: IDETC2016-59602
- Mattila, P. Mäkinen, S.. & Laakso, M. (2014). Facilitating collaboration between individual participants in a university-industry research and development project. Proceedings of the 10th NordDesign Conference.
- Rekonen, S. & Björklund T. (2014). Managerial activities and challenges in the front-end phase of the innovation process. Proceedings of the PMI Research and Education Conference 2014, Portland.
- Clavert, M. (2013). Academics’ conceptions of pedagogical change agency and the challenges of acting as a pedagogical change agent in the fields of science and technology. INTED 2013 (7th International Technology, Education and Development Conference), 4.–6.3.2013
- Clavert, M. & Laakso, M. (2013). Implementing design-based learning in engineering education: Case Aalto University Design Factory. 41th annual SEFI Conference
- Clavert, M., Nevgi, A. & Löfström, E. (2013). What is pedagogical change agency in higher education? 15th Biennial EARLI Conference for Research on Learning and Instruction, “Responsible Teaching and Sustainable Learning”, 27.–31.8.2013, Munich, Germany
- Leisti-Szymczak A., Liikkanen L., Laakso M. & Summanen I. (2013). Let me do my job – Designers’ experiences of collaborating with a client. In Proceedings of the Co-Create 2013 conference
- Nikander, J., Liikkanen, L. & Laakso, M. (2013). Naturally emerging decision criteria in product concept evaluation. In Proceedings of the19th International Conference on Engineering Design, ICED13
- Rekonen, S., Björklund, T.A., Laakso, M. & Likkanen, L.A. (2013). Evolvement of Managerial Activities and Leadership Style of New Product Development Project Managers. 11th IRNOP Conference, IRNOP 2013, Oslo, International Research Network on Organizing Projects.
- Rekonen, S., Björklund, T.A. & Liikkanen, L.A. (2013). The influence of technical expertise on managerial activities throughout the innovation process. The International Conference on Engineering Design.
- Summanen, I., Liikkanen L., Laakso M. and Leisti-Szymczak A. (2013). Co-developing a new technology for product concept testing with remote users. In Proceedings of the Co-Create 2013 conference
- Taajamaa, V., Sjöman, H., Kirjavainen, S., Utriainen, T., Repokari, L., & Salakoski, T. (2013). Dancing with ambiguity design thinking in interdisciplinary engineering education. In Design Management Symposium (TIDMS), 2013 IEEE Tsinghua International (pp. 353-360). IEEE.
- Clavert, M., Nevgi, A., Löfström, E. & Niemi, H. (2012). Defining pedagogical change agency in developing academic communities of practice in higher education. FERA Conference on Education, 22.–23.11.2012
- Laakso, M., & Liikkanen, L. (2012) Dubious role of formal creativity techniques in professional design. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Design Creativity ICDC2012
- Liikkanen, L. & Laakso M. (2012) Concept design as knowledge construction – the Case of user-centered design. In Proceedings of the 12th International Design Conference DESIGN 2012
- Björklund, T.A. & Laakso, M. (2011). Idea advancement in new product development – a grassroot perspective. 18th International Product Development Management Conference.
- Björklund T.A., Luukkonen, S., Clavert, M., Kirjavainen, S., & Laakso, M. (2011). The role of experimentation in creating and sustaining motivation in design work. Roozenburg, N., Chen L. & Stappers, P. (Ed.) Diversity and unity. Proceedings of IASDR2011, the 4th World Conference on Design Research.
- Hassi, L. & Laakso, M. (2011). Conceptions of design thinking in the management discourse. The 9th International European Academy of Design Conference.
- Hassi, L. & Laakso, M. (2011) Conceptions of design thinking in the design and management discourses – Open questions and possible directions for research. Proceedings of IASDR2011, the 4th World Conference on Design Research
- Hassi, L. & Laakso, M. (2011) Design thinking in the management discourse: Defining the elements of the concept. Proceedings of the 18th International Product Development Management Conference, IPDMC 2011
- Kirjavainen, S. & Björklund, T.A. (2011). The central role of exploration in designing business concepts and strategy. The 18th International Conference on Engineering Design.
- Kirjavainen, S. & Clavert, M. 2011. Manifestation of Design Thinking in Creating a Business Concept and Strategy. Paper presentation at IPDMC 2011 (18th International Product Development Management Conference), 5.-7.6.2011.
- Liikkanen, L., Hämäläinen, M.M., Häggman, A., Björklund, T.A., Koskinen, M.P. (2011). Quantitative evaluation of the effectiveness of idea generation in the wild. In M. Kurosu (Ed.): Human Centered Design, HCII 2011, LNCS 6776, pp. 120–129. Springer, Heidelberg.
- Liikkanen, L., Laakso, M. & Björklund, T.A. (2011) Foundations for Studying Creative Design Practices. 2nd International Conference on Creativity and Innovation in Design, DESIRE’11.
- Luukkonen, S. & Björklund, T.A. (2011). Leadership practice differences at the front end and development phases of innovation process. 27th EGOS Colloquium, July 6-9, 2011, Gothenburg.
- Björklund, T.A., Laakso, M. & Eloranta, M.-M. (2010). Innovations and the ability to advance ideas: Antecedents and practices of advancement. 3rd Latin American and European Meeting on Organization Studies.
- Kirjavainen, S., Björklund, T.A., Eloranta, M.-M. & Laakso, M. (2010). The impact of leadership, management and power in an international knowledge-intensive organization. 3rd Latin American and European Meeting on Organization Studies.
- Laakso, M. & Björklund, T.A. (2010). Issues in the operations improvement of European-Latin American innovation projects. 3rd Latin American and European Meeting on Organization Studies.
- Björklund, T. A. & Eloranta, M.-M. (2009). Adapting knowledge: Interaction between education and working life. In Proceedings of INTED2009 Conference, pp. 2138-2148. International Association of Technology, Education and Development (IATED): Valencia, Spain. ISBN 978-84-612-7578-6.
- Hämäläinen, M. M. & Laakso, M. (2009). Participative, employee-driven method for knowledge-harvesting in university-industry collaboration – A Case Example from Finnish Industry,” Proceedings of the INTED2009 Conference
- Laakso, M., Hämäläinen, M.M. & Häggman, A. (2009). Improving Lead organization and supplier interaction – A case study” 2009 In Proceedings of the ICSB World Conference
- Laakso M., Ukkonen, M., Forsblom, J., Häggman, A. & Hämäläinen, M.M. (2009). SME operations development – Empirical observations of allocating improvement activities on the basis of cost-effect estimations. 6th Annual International Conference on Small and Medium Sized Enterprises
- Liikkanen, L.A., Björklund, T.A., Hämäläinen, M. & Koskinen, M. (2009). Time constraints in design idea generation. International Conference on Engineering Design 24-27 August 2009 / Stanford, USA. (9)81-89.
- Björklund T. (2015). The Dynamics of Proactive Striving – Initiating and sustaining development efforts in product design and entrepreneurship. Aalto University publication series DOCTORAL DISSERTATIONS, 128/2015.
- Laakso, M. & Ekman, K. (editors) (2014). Proceedings of the 10th NordDesign Conference.
- Björklund T., Clavert, M., Kirjavainen, S., Laakso, M. & Luukkonen, S. (2011). Aalto University Design Factory through the eyes of its community. Study report. Aalto University Design Factory, Espoo.
- Björklund, T.A. (2009). Challenges in knowledge-intensive creative teamwork. In K. Kähkönen, A. S. Kazi & M. Rekola (toim.): Human Side of Projects in Modern Business (ss.141-150). Helsinki, Finland: Project Management Association Finland (PMAF) in collaboration with VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland. ISBN 978-952-92-5638-9
Kevin Otto Professor
+358 50 4664070
Katja Hölttä-Otto Professor
email@example.com +358 50 436 1868
Senni Kirjavainen Researcher
+358 50 521 5964
Tua Björklund Head of Research
+358 50 511 3182
Maria Clavert Researcher
+358 50 521 3044
Miko Laakso Researcher
+358 50 521 5355